At the end of this unit, you should be able to:
1. Understand oral messages in standard language both in daily life situations and in the professional field of the electrical installations, as well as analize the general meaning of a message and relate it to the corresponding language resources.
- Arrange the elements that make up a message.
- Identify the main idea in a message.
- Be conscious of the importance of understanding the main ideas in a message even if you do not understand all the elements that compose the message.
- Get specific information in messages about usual aspects of the everyday and professional life.
- Identify the main ideas in a well-structured speech in standard language about well-known aspects and transmitted in the media.
2. Understand simple written texts related to the field of electrical installations and analize the contents comprehensively.
- Choose reference material and technical dictionaries.
- Read simple texts in standard language.
- Translate a text in standard language by using reference materials, if necessary.
- Interpret the general meaning of a message.
- Relate the text to its corresponding context.
- Identify the terminology used in a message.
- Interpret technical manuals.
3. Produce clear, well-organized oral messages frequently used in companies of the field of electrical installations and take an active part in professional conversations.
- Express the tasks which you have to carry out in your job.
- Communicate by using formulas, connectors and strategies used in the interaction with other people.
- Describe and arrange a task in a sequence.
4. Write simple texts in standard language as normally used in the field of electrical installations and use the appropriate resources for each situation.
- Write short texts referring to everyday and/or professional aspects.
- Summarize texts related to your job.
- Organize the information in a coherent way.
- Apply the appropriate rules and specific vocabulary when filling in documents.
5. Show the appropriate attitude and behaviour in communicative situations as established by international conventions.
- Define the most distinctive aspects of the customs of English-speaking communities.
- Describe the social conventions of your country.
- Identify the values and beliefs which are characteristic of English-speaking communities.
- Identify the social and professional aspects of your job in all types of oral and written messages.
- Apply the social conventions in English-speaking communities.