General upper secondary education corresponds to Baccalaureate and Intermediate Vocational Education and intermediate vocational training cycles. General upper secondary education last two academic years, generally between the ages of 16 to 18, but is open to people of any age, either in person or through distance-study.
To obtain the certificate, the student must receive a positive assessment in all subjects: a minimum of six general subjects (five shall be of the same module), two optional subjects (which can be of other modules) and research.
At the time of enrolment, the student chooses a modules that must be maintained throughout the study period, although there is the possibility to change it. The areas of study are:
- Natural Science,
- Humanities and Social Science
- Plastic Arts and Design
- Performing Arts, Music and Dance
Once all subjects have been successfully completed the student must apply for secondary school qualifications, in order to:
- Join the labor force.
- Access to cycles of intermediate Vocational Training, intermediate Plastic Arts and Design Education, or Sports Education.
- Access to higher level Art Education.
- Enter university (having passed the PAU entrance test).
Direcció acadèmica de Batxillerat